Fairmont Toastmasters Club Forum Index Fairmont Toastmasters Club
From Good to Great!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Icebreaker Speech "I'm OX!"

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fairmont Toastmasters Club Forum Index -> Speech Script & feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bill Li
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Icebreaker Speech "I'm OX!" Reply with quote

Bill Li:
CTM#1 "I'm OX! (Apr 06, 2005)

Introduction:
Bill grew up in one of the smallest city in southern China. His biggest dream in childhood was that one day he would finally get out of the town for better or for worse. His parents describe him as "a Sturborn boy". Since age 18, Bill started to put his footprint outside the hometown, away from his home province, and finally beyond his native country on Nov, 1999. Why is Bill sturborn? Today, Bill will use Chinese Astrology to explain to you why.

Script:
I’m OX!

I’m well known as a stubborn boy in my family.

Madam Toastmaster, Fellow Toastmasters, and Honored Guests,

Have you ever been wondering why your personality is different from your parents, brothers, sisters, your partner or your children? Have you experienced that someone you just get to know has almost same personality as yours? Will you believe I share similar personality with Prince Diana and Saddam Hussein?

Chinese Astrology is not a science. But believe or not, it can provide great insight to your personality, and also all other areas in your life, such as relationship, career, health, and finance etc.

Does Chinese Astrology really work? Today I will tell you a few examples how Chinese Astrology can reveal my personality. And you will be the judge.

According to Chinese Astrology, I was born in the year of OX, and I will share the characteristics of an OX. Here is what OX looks like? (show the picture) Do you find something similar between the OX and me?

First of all, OX looks quite stubborn, right? It has a hard time to listen because he concentrates his whole body and mind to fight for what he believes. It is my-way-or-the-highway kind of animals who have no concept of when to back down. When I was a kid, I was assigned to wash the dishes after dinner, while my young brother got the job to clean the table and dump the garbage. I developed a great sense of pride in my simple job. Because I believe I’m also a contributor to the family. I never ask for a vacation day. I never look for a good excuse to escape my responsibility. I never ask for getting my brother’s job because it is easier. And I never went on strike to demand new benefits. I have been a hardworking fellow long before I got my first paycheck. My younger brother was born in the Year of Dragon. The simple and boring job could not fulfill his ambitions. He has often run away from his duty unconsciously or consciously. Sometimes he needed to visit a friend soon, or sometimes he had too much schoolwork to do etc. So, my friend, that is not fair. Ox often seeks justice in the world. I didn’t mind to be a proud son to help my Mom, but I refused to accept the injustice in the family. Please take a look at this picture. That was how I looked like when my Mom asked me to help my brother to clean the table. My face was red. My voice was loud. My hands were wet. My head was steaming. You can put a gun at his head, he will have no fear and say, “Just shoot me!”. My Mom often sighed, said, “My Son. You are really stubborn. Whenever I ask your brother to do something, he would say yes Mom, Yes Mom, I will do it. Then he will disappear when you call him. I know you often work much harder than your brother. He often just said he would do it but in the end he just run away. You often refused to do it but in the end you are the one who gets the job done. But you know what, my stubborn boy, you often make me very angry after our argument. ”

Secondly, Ox is tireless worker. Ox has been used in China to plant the field for thousands of years. He is most hard working animal in a farm. No matter who my boss is, he or she has given a same comment about me. “He is a really hardworking guy.” I used to be computer programmer in China. I worked 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. The whole world disappeared from me. The only thing in my mind is the challenges in programming. When I had a meal, when I took a shower, when I talked to friends, or even when I was in a dream, my mind was in the programming world. How many of you have watched the movie Matrics? The guy looked the world as Matrics. That’s how I felt. I look at your face and I only see the computer code.

Thirdly, Ox is boring. He likes eats something over and over again. The same is as me. I could eat my favoriate meal as breakfast, lunch, dinner, and same for next day. I had a trip to Montreal with my girlfriend. She made a terrible mistake. She taught me how to sing “O Canada”. As a result, every mountain we passed by, I raised my voice to sing “O Canada…”.

What are the other things about Ox? He is serious, short temper. He inspires confidence in others. Friends and family are a great source of comfort to this beast, even if they don't always understand what makes the Ox tick.

The other famous Ox is Walt Disney, Vincent Van Gogh, Margaret Thatcher, Napolean, Adolph Hitler, Richard Nixon, and our frequent guest Victoria Papadopoulos.

I’m OX! I believe I’m OX! My friends, if you want to find out who you are, or you want to understand other people better, you need to read Chinese Astrology. You will be in a trip to the great discovery of your personality, relationship, career, health and all other aspects of your life.

A great Chinese phinosipher named Lao Zi once said: " It is wisdom to know others;
It is enlightenment to know one's self."

Madam Toastmasters.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fairmont Toastmasters Club Forum Index -> Speech Script & feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


FlashyNova Toastmasters Edition
The names "Toastmasters International", "Toastmasters" and the Toastmasters International emblem are trademarks protected in the United States, Canada and other countries where Toastmasters Clubs exist. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2007 phpBB Group