 |
Fairmont Toastmasters Club From Good to Great!
|
| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Maria Pablo Guest
|
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:16 am Post subject: Icebreaker Speech - "That's My Final Answer" |
|
|
Why did I come to Canada? That’s the question that I have been asked when I came here from the Philippines nine years ago. To which I have always answered, I came here to seek greener pastures, just like most immigrants say.
Looking back, I realized that I really didn’t come here to seek greener pastures. Therefore I haven’t been giving people the truthful answer and today fellow toastmasters and guests, you will know the answer.
I suspect that when I was still in my mother’s womb, I have been programmed by my parents as to what I would be when I grow up. When I was a little kid, aunts and uncles would ask “What do you want to be when you grow up?” And I would always say - - I want to be a lawyer someday.
I grew up never wanting to be anything else but a lawyer.
I went to law school and it was in law school where I met Anton, my husband. We were classmates. Eventually we graduated, took the bar and MADE IT.
Mission accomplished. My parents couldn’t be happier. So what’s next for me?
I was hired by one of the prominent Senators in the Philippines in the 90s.I became a legislative lawyer for 4 years. I was part of a 5 lawyer team whose main task was to draft and develop proposed legislation or a bill that the Senator would sponsor, and at the same time we find ways to stop other proposed legislations. This involved a lot of research and a lot of consultations with lobbyists and constituents.
Our office received hundreds of letters a day – letters asking for help, asking for anything under the sun, asking to make possible the impossible. We review the letter, we draft a reponse, the Senator reviews it and if he approves of it, he signs it. This is where I see the analogy between hospitality and politics. In hospitality, we do everything to appease our guests, to win their business. In politics, we do everything to appeas our constituents, to win their votes.
The glamorous side of this job is that I get to attend meetings and functions with the Senator or in his behalf . I used to frequent Malacanang, which is our version of the white house.
The thing with this job is, my typical workday ends at 2 oclock am only to get back to work 8 hours later.
Anton on the other hand, went into private practice – litigation which I initially liked too.
It turned out however the judicial system is not as ideal as we have been led to believe. Corruption is prevalent. One might need to compromise his morality in order to be successful in the practice. There may be exceptions – but there are vey few. I am not being righteous. I do not intend to dishonor my country …but that’s just reality... I decided not to be a part of that reality. Anton, however, decided to go with the flow…but not for long.
One day, he proposed to me. Out of the blue asked me, will you marry me? I said yes. Then we kissed, or at least I thought we kissed or we should have kissed. We didn’t and instead, he asked me another question, would you come with me to Canada. I was stunned. I was hoping he should have asked this question first and I would have said NO to his other question.
The fact is I stand here before you now, because I said YES. But it was a YES with
so much reluctance and doubt.
Anton heard from a friend how wonderful it is to live here – that it is such an ideal place to start and raise a family. As back home, though we were earning well – our earnings would quickly go down the drain with endless shopping, dining, outing and partying.
shopping or in the bars, dancing, drinking or partying. We never had savings.
We both needed to change our lifestylesif we are to start a family - even if that would mean turning our backs to the profession that we have chosen
We got here October 1996, and I was 4 months pregnant. Anton got a job right away while we decided that I’d stay home and care for the baby . I was so lonely and I would cry everyday when he lives for work.
In 1997, Giorgino was born. Everything changed. Not only did his life begin but mine too. When he turned 1, I started working and CP Hotels is the first company that I’ve worked for here in Canada.
Good things then started happening. I got permanent in my job. I won a trip to see the Rockies aboard a luxury train and the three of us went. I won a 2 night stay at The Plaza and again the three of us went to New York. In 2003, I gave birth to Marty and he was 10 months when the four of us explored the beaches of Maui and Waikiki as my prize for being Corporate Star in 2002. Last February, we moved into a new house. With all these blessings, both Anton and I could not ask for more.
Today, if I will be asked again, Why did I come to Canada. Melodramatic as it may sound, I would say, I came to Canada because I followed my heart and I have no regrets. That my fellow toastmasters, is my final answer. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
The names "Toastmasters International", "Toastmasters" and the Toastmasters International emblem are trademarks protected in the United States, Canada and other countries where Toastmasters Clubs exist. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2007 phpBB Group
|