Luke Tucker Guest
|
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:37 pm Post subject: Debunking the myths of Africa |
|
|
Debunking the myths of Africa
Help me !, came the cries as I dis-embarked from the 747 jet, we had just landed in some far out safari, filled with wild animals, each rearing to get at us. Suddenly I saw these wild crazy tribe people rushing towards us, with spears and arrows, Run! Run! Run for your life. Everybody was scrambling, refusing to be eaten alive.
Mr Toastmaster, fellow toastmasters, I would like to share with you, some of the myths of Africa, needless to say, none of what you just heard ensued, instead, I landed at the Nairobi airport, with similar looking immigration officers, with the same nasty attitude as anywhere else.
Sorry to disappoint you, but this was just a figment of my imagination, before going to Africa. I assume there are others with similar expectations.
Let’s, talk a little, about some of the myths of Africa:
Africans are primarily tribes people;
During my two weeks stay in Kenya, I saw more business people that tribes people, even though there are many different tribes.
Africans are essentially primitive in lifestyle, art and technology because few or no innovations took or take place in Africa.
Like any other 3rd world country, Development is slower, but the technology is catching up with the western world.
All Africans are black. To be African is to be black. Africans are not culturally diverse.
There might be more Black people in Africa, but this statement is not true, there are also many different cultures.
Africa is one country and the people there speak a language called “African.”
There are appx 53 different countries in the African Continent, most people speak, 2 or more languages, English being one.
Africa is mostly jungle, with some desert, and is highly overpopulated.
There are many cities in Africa
All Africans practice Voodoo
African history is basically a history of poverty, ignorance, slavery, and violence.
Yes, there is poverty, and yes, there were slavery, and show me a nation without violence.
Some facts about Africa: Considered by most scientists to be the origin of mankind.
1) Second largest continent in the world, 53 independent countries
2) 11,700,000 sq miles
3) Population of over 690 million people
4) Largest city : Cairo, Egypt, 9.2 mil people
5) Largest country: Sudan 968,000 sq miles
6) Longest river: Nile 4,160 miles
7) Largest Lake: Lake Victoria 26,828 sq miles
Tallest Mountain: Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, 19,340 feet
Kenya:
I was fortunate to visit Kenya, one of the many countries in Africa and quickly realize that most of what I knew about Africa, was nothing more than myths.
Kenya, located to the east of Africa, flanked by such neighbours as Somalia, Ethiopia, Tanzania and Uganda, boast a population of appx. 60 mil people. Natural resources include farming products, such as coffee, sugar cane, and all manner of fruits and vegetables. With a tropical like climate, getting cooler in July and August. Very friendly people, who with exceptions of a few, have the uncanny ability to get along with each other. Unlike what we hear in the media, people are very aware of the perils of Aids and takes precautions to prevent such.
Very educated people, unfortunately there are not enough jobs, resulting in very high unemployment, thus vast majority of poor Kenyans.
A corrupt government that seems to take from the country instead of helping the people, similar to most third world countries.
During this visit, I was privilege to see some of the sites and breathe taking views of this beautiful country.
Now, come with me on my first Safari ride:
Now, imagine, standing not more than a few feet away, with numerous wild animals, going about their own business, towering giraffe looking down at you, rhinoceros, standing a few feet away, lions mating, less than 10 feet away, all minding their own business. Then move on in search of the elephants, tending to their young ones.
These are just a few of the amazing sites that I was privilege to see on this, my first safari ride.
The next day, I rode on the back of a turtle, over 300 years old; we are told, and strong as an elephant.
My visit to town:
I was greeted by the warmest friendly people, many wanting to sell their good. People saying thank you and please, no pushing and shoving.
My work experience:
I had the opportunity to meet with many business people:
Once again I was impressed by their command of the English language; you could not tell that English was not their mother tong
Conclusion:
My fellow toastmasters, these are some of the legacies of Africa, sure, we all know there are many poor people, some crime, and even African jungles, but let’s not be fooled, Africa is much more than a nation of flesh eating tribe people. |
|