Fairmont Toastmasters Club Forum Index Fairmont Toastmasters Club
From Good to Great!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IceBreaker Speech "My daughter - Olivia"

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fairmont Toastmasters Club Forum Index -> Speech Script & feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Grace Bow
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: IceBreaker Speech "My daughter - Olivia" Reply with quote

Grace Bow: Icebreaker speech " My daughter - Olivia" (Mar 9 2005)

Introduction:
I work in Operations Analysis & Integration Department. My role involves with hotel transition and prepare monthly analysis reports for senior management. I've been working with hotel business for the past 25 years and I love the industry. I love cruising because you're constantly be fed and best of all, you can meet many amazing people around the world within the shortest time. My dream is to "Freedom 55", able to retire young and to enjoy those things that I missed in much more younger age.

Speech Script:
My 19 years old daughter, Olivia has so much affection on me that there is not a dull moment I don’t think about her. She lives in me. Today I am going to share some of this affection with you.

I have an older son, Brian. He is one of the finest children that I could not ask for more as parents. I am very proud of him. Parenting Brian is joyful and a piece of cake. On the other hand, unlike Brian, Olivia is a complete opposite. She is determined and street smart. She never takes “NO” for an answer and does almost everything that you ask her not to do. Parenting her is a challenge. I could not tell you how many of those sleepless nights that we’ve been through and those surprises (good & bad) that we often were faced for which we were not prepared.

My husband is battling his relationship with Olivia and I know he is loosing her. He said to me once: “ You know, Grace, I’m successful in my business because I can control everything, however, I am a looser in front of my daughter because I can’t control her. I feel shame of her ”. Olivia is never good enough for her dad. He admitted that Olivia’s behavior is a mirror reflection to his childhood. He was doing the same, or not, worst. Quite often, he blames on himself as though this is revenge from God.

I’ve never giving up my faith in her because I know from the bottom of my heart that she knows how much we love her and how much she loves us. She gave me many unforgettable heartfelt moments that melted my heart. Three years ago, she secretly has my name tattooed by her heart without telling because she did not want to get into trouble. Later I found out and asked her why she did it, she told me because she loved me so much that I am always in her heart. My heart sank and I was in tears.

Last month, she gave me a key chain plague on my birthday. The plague was engraved with the word:” I love you for ever, mommy” and on the other side, it was engraved with a picture of two of us. She said “You will always see me”. I was deeply touched and have never felt so much being loved.

I love riding with Olivia without the boys. We talk like buddies and we feel like the birds. At that moment, the whole world is behind us. We talk, laugh and sing. Nothing matters to us.

Although raising Olivia is a very bumpy ride, it is a blessing for the ride enabled me to evolve as an overall person. My children have enriched my life so much that I could not possibly experience otherwise, especially through the living hood with Olivia. She has been the source of so much rich experience.

As child needs training, so do parents. Through them, I have learned how everyone is different, how not to judge a person by his/her background, color or appearance. I’ve learned how to listen because she often made me repeat what she said. She made me realize that true meaning of maturity means full growth and development to full realization of potential. This takes a lifetime and why rushing them now. She told me once that she does not want to be like me because she does not want to be perfect. I should let her be herself. Although children are my challenge, they are my eye-opener and they have given me far more values than I have given to them. I love them.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fairmont Toastmasters Club Forum Index -> Speech Script & feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


FlashyNova Toastmasters Edition
The names "Toastmasters International", "Toastmasters" and the Toastmasters International emblem are trademarks protected in the United States, Canada and other countries where Toastmasters Clubs exist. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2007 phpBB Group